Optimus Prime!
t3h j1mb0
2005-10-03 07:50:23 UTC
Yeah, whatever.
Anyway, I'm just wondering how y'all are letting the update function
know what the new character is. I've tried replacing the zero node with
the new leaf that has the symbol (from the update function), but I don't
know if that's working. Also (this may be unrelated), my codes keep
getting longer and longer as the file goes on, even if there are no new
characters. WAAAAAA!!!!!!!
-Jimbo
Jamie Hargrove
2005-10-03 08:24:52 UTC

Personally, I record what the new symbol was in the new node it creates
after update finishes executing. I think it would be more sensible to
do it during update, but I'd have to change the parameters to update or
add another class variable to do that as far as I can tell, so I just did
it another way.-Jamie
.
ext-news.utexas.edu
2005-10-03 08:30:34 UTC
This was my approach as well. I set the symbol after my call to
updateOptAdaptive() returns. It seems like this project is all about
gnireenignE esreveR.
.
Zach
.
t3h j1mb0
2005-10-03 19:04:53 UTC
Post by t3h j1mb0
Yeah, whatever.
Anyway, I'm just wondering how y'all are letting the update function
know what the new character is. I've tried replacing the zero node with
the new leaf that has the symbol (from the update function), but I don't
know if that's working. Also (this may be unrelated), my codes keep
getting longer and longer as the file goes on, even if there are no new
characters. WAAAAAA!!!!!!!
-Jimbo
.
If you do that, how does it know when to update the lookup table?
I can't get it to work either way...
-Jimbo
Zach
2005-10-03 19:46:37 UTC
Post by t3h j1mb0
Post by Zach
I called correspond() on the zero-node before calling updateOptAdaptive
If you do that, how does it know when to update the lookup table?
I can't get it to work either way...
-Jimbo
Because in updateOptAdaptive the replaceZero call will move the
zero-leaf (with the symbol from the correspond() call) to the right
child of a new zero node. And since replaceZero uses place() to do all
of these move operations, it will automatically maintain the lookup tables.